If you are participating in a STEM OPT program, you must keep track of the following important reporting requirements in order to maintain your F-1 status:
- Regularly check in with your DSO to validate Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) information and report changes made to your Form I-983, “Training Plan for STEM OPT Students.”
Every 6 months, you must confirm that your SEVIS information correctly
- Legal name.
- Residential or mailing address.
- Employer name and address.
- Status of current employment.
- Every 12 months, you must submit a self-evaluation on the progress of your training experience, in addition to validating your SEVIS information.
- Initial assessment 12 months after the STEM OPT start date, and a
- Final assessment that recaps the training and knowledge acquired during the complete, 24-month training period (to be submitted no later than 10 days after the conclusion of the training period).
- Changing Employers: If you change employers, your new employer must be enrolled in E-Verify before you start work and you must also submit a new Form I-983 to DSO within 10 days of starting the new practical training opportunity.
- Unemployment: If your employment is terminated, you must report the termination of your practical training experience within 10 days of the event.
Sign up for reminders from SEVP
Get the full overview on reporting requiements
For a complete overview of all of your reporting requirements as a STEM OPT student, visit the Students: STEM OPT Reporting Requirements page.