Skip to Content

What You Need to Sponsor a Green Card for Your Parents


The process of sponsoring your parents for a U.S. Green card may seem quite overwhelming when you consider all the forms and documents that need to be submitted. To ensure you are ready with the right documents, check out our easy guide on what you need to sponsor your parent's green card.

Filing the Application

Whether you are filing for an Adjustment of Status for parents who are already in the U.S. or filing for Consular Processing for parents living outside of the country, you will need to show the following evidence to file their Green card application.

  • Proof of Sponsor's U.S. citizenship: Only U.S. citizens who are 21years or older can sponsor their parents for a U.S. Green card
  • As your parents' sponsor, you will need to show a copy of your U.S. Naturalization Certificate or U.S. passport
  • Birth certificates evidence of valid U.S. citizenship
  • Proof of sponsor's financial ability to support parents: To sponsor your parents, you will need to meet the U.S. HHS poverty guidelines based on your household size

Financial Documents

In many cases, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will require documentation regarding your financial status. This is to ensure that you are able to afford any fees that may accrue during the application process.

You will need to provide evidence of your financial status in the form of:

  • Employment Verification Letter
  • Recent paystubs
  • Recent bank statements
  • Tax returns and W-2 or 1099 other financial assets if needed
  • Proof of your relationship to your parents
  • To establish the parent-child relationship with your parents, you will need to provide copies of:
  • Sponsor's birth certificate with the name of mother and father
  • Birth certificates for each of your parents

Additionally, for green cards for fathers, you will also need to provide the Marriage certificate to show your father was married to your mother before your birth as evidence of paternity. The birth certificates and marriage certificates will need to meet the requirements set out by the Department of State in the U.S. Visa: Reciprocity and Civil Documents schedule.

Suppose the birth certificates and marriage certificates do not meet the requirements or are unavailable. In that case, you will need to provide additional documents such as Non-availability of Birth/ Marriage Certificates, affidavits, and secondary evidence. The documents mentioned above are the foundation for filing a strong green card application.

Where to Start

Applying for any form of immigration status for yourself or a loved one is complicated, and getting waitlisted or denied a green card can take an emotional toll. The immigration system is complex, but not impossible. With the right help, you can pursue your American Dream.

Gathering these documents can be very time-consuming. We recommend you start early and work with an experienced immigration attorney to make sure the documents meet USCIS requirements. At Verma Law Firm, we have helped thousands of clients sponsor their parents for a green card.

We offer virtual consultations! Call our office for more information regarding scheduling and COVID-19 precautions.

Contact us today to consult with one of our experienced immigration attorneys. We look forward to working with you.

Contact Verma Law Firm Today

Serving Clients Throughout San Jose, San Francisco & Around The World
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy