Skip to Content

DHS proposed regulation for processing Unlawful Presence Waivers


Currently, immediate relatives of U.S. citizens, unlawfully present in the U.S. for more than 180 days, applying for their permanent residence are required to travel to a U.S. Consulate in their home country to have an initial interview and apply for a waiver.

The new procedure announced by DHS will allow immediate relatives (spouses, children and parents) of U.S. citizen to apply for the waiver of unlawful presence bar while remaining in the U.S. Immediate Relative will still need to meet the extreme hardship standard to obtain a waiver. If the immediate relative is found eligible, USCIS will grant a provisional waiver. Then, the immediate relative will have to depart the U.S. and apply for immigrant visa at the U.S. Consulate overseas. The consular officer will make the finding of inadmissibility based on unlawful presence and apply the provisional waiver.

Share To:

Contact Verma Law Firm Today

Serving Clients Throughout San Jose, San Francisco & Around The World
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy