The U.S. immigration process can be highly complex and treacherous, especially in this current political climate. When you are navigating through the convoluted system, you will want an attorney that can best handle your case.
A skilled immigration lawyer can make a substantial difference in your case. In fact, many people lose their cases simply because they didn’t have any legal representation, making them vulnerable to the discretion of the immigration judges who are not looking out for their best interests.
There are many law firms offering immigration services. However, finding the best one for your case can turn into a daunting task.
The following are several tips to help you make the best decision possible:
- Confirm credentials - Searching the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) website is an effective way to find immigration attorneys in your area. Ensure that the lawyer is a member of a state bar association. Also, check if they have any good reviews on websites like Super Lawyers or Martindale-Hubbell.
- Ask for references - Ask friends and acquaintances to find other people who have hired immigration lawyers and obtained the outcome you desire. Word-of-mouth referrals are preferred since you can learn firsthand about the type of experience the person had when working with the lawyer.
- Meet with prospective candidates - When you meet with your potential lawyer, be prepared with questions to ask. The more questions you have, the better understanding you will gain of your legal options.
- Ask about experience - Whether you are securing a visa or seeking asylum, immigration law can cover a variety of complex legal issues. It is imperative to ensure that the lawyer you choose has years of experience handling cases similar to yours.
- Negotiate fees - Some immigration law firms charge by the hour, while others charge fixed fees for the standard preparing and filing of your case. It is wise to pay a fixed fee for legal counsel or else request an estimation of how much time it will take to file your case.
- Consider your preferences - Your personal preferences should also factor into your decision. For example, do you prefer your lawyer to be a specific gender? Do you wish to have a lawyer speak your language fluently? Do you want your lawyer to have the same ethnicity as you? It is always best to work with a lawyer you are completely comfortable with in order to develop a strong relationship.
For nearly two decades, Verma Law Firm has been providing premium legal representation in the areas of business and family immigration law. We are committed to achieving your immigration goals. Our San Jose immigration lawyer can thoroughly review your case and determine all of the legal options available to get the best results possible.
For more information, contact us and schedule a confidential consultation today.