We Are Your San Jose Immigration Attorneys

Naturalization Process in San Jose

Assisting with the Citizenship of Biological Children Living in the U.S.

The naturalization process is quite complicated, but becoming a U.S. citizenship can provide a wide range of benefits to you and your family. At Verma Law Firm, our San Jose immigration lawyer has more than 20 years of experience and can assist you with this process. In some instances, a child whose parent(s) become naturalized citizens of the United States, automatically gain citizenship to the U.S. A child will automatically gain citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), Section 320, as amended by the Child Citizenship Act (CCA), if all of the following requirements are met.

The requirements include the following:

  • At least one parent of the child is a U.S. citizen, whether by birth or naturalization
  • The child is under the age of 18 years old
  • The child is residing in the United states in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent based on a lawful admission for permanent residence
  • An adopted child may automatically become a citizen under section 320 of the INA if the child satisfies the requirements applicable to adopted children under sections 101(b)(1)(E), (F), or (G) of the INA.

Exploring Your Child's Naturalization Options

In order to be considered a “child” under the Act, the individual must be unmarried. A child who was born out of wedlock must be “legitimated” while he/she is under the age of 16 and in legal custody of the legitimating parent. It is also important to note that a stepchild, who has not been adopted, does not qualify as a child under this section. A child who satisfies the requirements of section 320 of the INA, before turning 18 years old, automatically obtains citizenship without having to file an application. However, in order to obtain a certificate of citizenship from USCIS, an individual must file a specific form, or obtain a US passport.

Call a San Jose immigration lawyer today at (408) 560-4622 to set up a case consultation to discuss this matter further!

Contact Verma Law Firm

  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter a message.